The English edition of AUTOMATON (AUTOMATON WEST) is in search of a news translator (JPN to ENG) and writer.
The English edition of AUTOMATON is centered around gaming news happening in Japan, whether through translating articles from the Japanese edition of AUTOMATON or picking up news the Japanese site doesn’t cover. As a games media outlet based in Japan, our goal is to build a site that provides proper context and understanding as it relates to the games industry and gaming communities in Japan.
We’re looking for someone who can provide daily translations of news articles, write news articles in English, or both. If that sounds like you and you’re looking for a new challenge, we look forward to hearing from you.
About translation work
Translations will consist of translating articles from the Japanese edition of AUTOMATON into English. Directly translating from Japanese to English tends to cause unnatural sounding English sentences. This means it’s important to make formatting and phrasing adjustments, as well as provide supplemental information an English-speaking audience might need. We are looking for someone who is familiar with the games industry and the relevant vocabulary to provide readers with accurate and natural sounding translations.
With news, it’s difficult to know when something will come up, so we are seeking someone that is flexible and can respond quickly (as a reference, a rate of around 1,000 Japanese characters in 1 ~ 3 hours). Availability after 5:00 p.m. JST is preferable.
In addition, there may also be requests to proofread translations from other translators.
About writing work
Writing articles will consist of searching for content related to the games industry and gaming communities in Japan, and writing articles aimed at English-speaking readers. We’re looking for someone that enjoys seeking out information about Japan’s games industry and can output that information in English.
– Translate articles from the Japanese edition of AUTOMATON into English
– Proofread articles
– Write English articles for the English edition of AUTOMATON
This is a remote position with no restrictions on country of residence.
This is a subcontracting position with compensation based entirely on commission. Compensation will generally be even across the board but can be discussed based on your writing experience and work history. Translation rate is 5 JPY per Japanese character.
Active Gaming Media Inc.
– Can write at a native English level
– Can read and understand Japanese AUTOMATON articles and articles from other Japanese news websites
– Availability to provide daily articles on weekdays
– Over 18 years of age (students okay)
– A bank account that can receive deposits from Japan
– Available to translate after 5:00 p.m. JST on weekdays
– Follows gaming news from a variety of sources and has their finger on the pulse of what’s happening in the industry
– Experience translating for, operating, or contributing to a media website
– Located in Japan
1. Please email the following information to [email protected] to apply.
AUTOMATON WEST Application
– Contact email
– Country of residence
– Days and times available to work (in JST)
– The position you’re interested in (translator, writer, or both)
– Your reason for applying
– Explanation of your Japanese and English level (JLPT level etc. You can also explain further in your own words if you do not hold any certificates.)
– Information of past translation, writing, or editing experience (optional)
2. We will review the emails we receive and contact those that have moved on to phase 2 of the application process within 10 days (excluding weekends).
*Only applicants moving to step 2 will be contacted.
*Personal information will be securely stored until the end of the hiring process and promptly deleted when it ends.
3. After the initial screening, those moving to phase 2 will be asked to complete a translation test or writing test.
The person responsible for hiring applicants will contact you regarding the test. Please understand that you will not be paid for taking the test.
4. We will contact applicants regarding the test results and conduct an interview.
5. Successful applicants will be sent contract information.